Paroli project

Julien Cassignol ainulindale at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 12:03:37 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Mirko Lindner <mirko at openmoko.org> wrote:

> Collaboration and joint efforts sounds like a good idea.
> However, I had a look at the project description and it seemed to me
> that SHR focuses on development with C and gtk, which is not quite what
> we are aiming for, but as I said it was a short look. Could you explain
> how EFL fits into the picture?

SHR has nothing to do with only C and GTK. We aim to deliver a stable
and working community driven distribution. We first thought to port
the old 2007.2 GTK applications to frameworkd, as by that time, 2008.9
wasn't out yet and 2007.2 wasn't stable enough. We ended up building
an architecture allowing the user to install different libraries
related to frameworkd functionnalities, and allowing him to change the
library used for this or that part in a configuration file.

In the end, quickdev (a SHR developer) managed to develop quite fast a
working dialer, messages and contacts software based on EFL, in a
library implementing the logic built in SHR
(libframeworkd-phonegui-efl).

This logic is described here :
http://shr.bearstech.com/trac/wiki/SHR_Architecture
What he did is to implement the specifications written in
libframeworkd-phonegui, using libframeworkd-glib to abstract the dbus
connection.

In the future, I'd like to settle the mainloop problems with
libframeworkd-glib, allowing the user to choose which kind of dbus
library libframeworkd-glib should use at runtime (i.e. attaching
itself to the mainloop of the user/developer choice, hence avoiding
the management of threads).

I also would like to see how our logic can interact with things such
as tichy (as discussed with Guillaume), or other languages than C.

In any case, if you manage to build a share object with method hooks
usable in C, you're free to use the language of your choice.

Hence, it would worth it if we shared our efforts, we're just a few
people working out here, and several of us could build something even
better :-)

--
Julien Cassignol
http://www.ainulindale.net