VARTA Digital USB Charger

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Tue Nov 4 14:14:18 CET 2008

El día Monday, November 03, 2008 a las 08:59:24PM +0100, Matthias Apitz escribió:

> El día Wednesday, October 15, 2008 a las 08:10:34PM +0200, Radek Barto?? escribió:
>
> > Hello list.
> >
> > I've just read an article about new VARTA Digital USB Charger
> > http://www.en.varta-consumer.com/content.php?path=/1204126618.html&&domain=www.en.varta-consumer.com
> > so I'm sharing it with you.
> >
> > For our purposes it's really great that it can charge our precious Neo from
> > inserted AA or AAA accumulators, power point or car socket :-).
>
> Hello,
>
> I've bought today evening this charger, mainly with the idea to charge
> AA cells to put them later into the MintyBoost;
>
> well, the paperware of the item claims that in can charge gadgets via
> the USB-out function, i.e. you put 2-4 charged cells into the device,
> connect it with the cable of our FR press the button 'USB out' and you
> put the power of the cells into the gadget, into the FR in our case;
>
> but it does not work; after pressing the button 'USB out' the green LED
> comes on for some seconds, the FR shows 'loading' but then it crashes:
> LED goes off, FR falls back to its own battery :-(

This was clearly my fault, a bit promoted by the wrong pictures in the
manual of the VARTA Digital USB Charger: the pictures show the LED of
each cell 'on' when it is full, while the manual stated correctly that
the LED of each cell is on while charging and blinking on full;
in short: the cells have been nearly empty :-)

I've fully charged now the four AA cells of 2700 mAh and USB-out is
working as it should; the battery.py shows 1000 mA charging rate;
this pack of 4 cells each 2700 mAh give you around 10,000 mAh

I will do  more tests and update the Wiki after this about this charger;

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz
Manager Technical Support - OCLC GmbH