RFC: split away 'open sourced' Android in a new mailing list (was: Re: Android open sourced)

Marcel tanuva at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 4 17:47:52 CET 2008

Am Tuesday 04 November 2008 17:17:28 schrieb Jim Ancona:
> Marcel wrote:
> > At least it's not as open as it could be.
> > (Of course this is Google's software and their decision, but I don't
> > think Android is as open as in free software.)
>
> By what definition of "free software" does Android not qualify?

Arr, I should have thought a minute more about what I was writing. I mean
Google's backdoors to ban unwanted software without asking the user about it
and such. Dunno about GPLv3, but this does not interfere with the freedom of
the software... btw, one could remove that "feature". :X
So in the end it's my definition of free software that it does not comply
with. :)

> > Another suggestion: treat Android like every other distro - prefix
> > threads with [android] and we can filter ourselves.
>
> Agree.

In action.

-Marcel