Installing&using Om .pik or .opk under Debian?

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Nov 7 20:34:43 CET 2008

>> Is there somewhere a user guide to use Om applications under Debian?
> You can just extract the opkg files and copy the content to the required
> directories. To extract a *.ipk file just do "ar x filename.ipk" and you
> got a data archive with the content of the ipg file. Extract this and
> copy the content to where it belongs.

I guess it's good to know that this simple approach works (this means
that libraries are mostly compatible, at least), but I was hoping for
something that could do some amount of dependency checking, offer
"uninstall", and the usual set of features you expect from a package
management system.

I guess something like `alien' for ipk/opk files, but `alien' doesn't
seem to understand ipk files.

        Stefan