WSOD (ticket #1841) (unofficial) survey question

Klaus Kurzmann mok at mnet-online.de
Sun Nov 9 20:01:23 CET 2008

* Greg <lunved at optusnet.com.au> [081109 11:16]:
> Hi,

> I am one of those who are affected by the WSOD issue. Until about 2 months
> ago, I was never affected by it, but now if my display is "blanked" for over
> 15 minutes I get the WSOD.
lucky you - I get WSoD when suspended/blanked for more than 1 minute ;)
And this from the beginning when I got my freerunner in august. I
immediately reflashed it, so I don't know, if the original 2007 stack
would have shown the WSoD also...

> After looking over the comments in the WSOD ticket and considering my own
> experience, I am wondering is this not a damage issue.  You see, around 2
> months ago my phone was knocked from my hand onto the pavement.  At the time
> I considered myself lucky that the screen did not crack, and noticed no
> issues.  But two comments in the ticket history got my wondering: The first
> is a comment by "leachim" that the problem went away after the physical
> display screen was replaced; and the second was a comment by "jurg" saying
> that he stopped seeing the WSOD if he kept the phone "warm".
I just tried the "warm" theory and put my freerunner sleeping on a warm
and cosy place - resumed after 5 minutes and got a nice WSoD.

> My phone does not exhibit the WSOD problem if it is warm.  I did this test by
> leaving the phone on top of a cheap DVD player which has a warm patch,
> suspending the phone for an hour, resuming, suspending for 3 hours, resuming,
> removing the phone from the heat source, suspending for 1 hour and resuming.
> The WSOD problem only manifested only the final resume.  Without heat, the
> WSOD issue always mainfiests after 15 minutes or more of screen blanking.  I
> used "suspend" to make sure that the screen is blanked, but I don't believe
> suspend/resume is the cause - I think it is related to blanking.

> I previously have found and fixed mechanical faults with electrical systems
> that present or disappear with heat as components come into or out of contact
> due to heating, so I am wondering if there is a possible damage issue here.

> My question is:  For those of you who experience the WSOD issue: Have you ever
> dropped your phone?
Never dropped it.

> If you would be so kind as to reply off-list, I'll post the results in a week.

> Regards,

> Greg.

Thank you for doing this

Mok