Booting from large microSD (SDHC) [success]

Marian Flor deichkind.08 at schweiz.eu
Mon Nov 10 23:27:02 CET 2008

Am Montag, den 10.11.2008, 00:33 +0100 schrieb Lothar Behrens:

> I had some more look about other cards about 8GB, but if there are
> more users having success,
> I will buy this card.

"The iPhone and the N810 support 16GB microSD so why shouldn't the
Openmoko?" was my guess and so I gave it a try.

> Especially when the eaten MBR problem was only once a problem. Was
> it ?

No. My MBR was never fragged (This would have been be fatal for me on
the next morning. Of course I mean the _card's_ MBR ;-) ). The
filesystem (ext2) got whacked by a suspend or "unsynced" halt command,
so that fdisk did not recover upon boot.

But I was able to fix the filesystem on the microSD by a manually fdisk
from the other linux on the internal flash memory. Switching to ext3 may
also help, but make sure that your sd card supports wear leveling. In
the other case ext3 may shorten the lifecycle of the card. Also,
mounting the microSD with "-noatime" should lower the stress (and extend
the lifetime) of the card.

Anyhow. It seems a good advice to keep a copy (printed or dd) of the
microSD's MBR  in a warm and dry place apart from your Freerunner.

A kind closing note: Please place your answer _under_ the quoted text
next time.
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/FAQ#On_the_lists_on_lists.openmoko.org.2C_should_replies_be_added_above_or_below_the_original_text.3F

regards,
Marian