Openmoko chronology

Alexander Chemeris Alexander.Chemeris at sipez.com
Tue Nov 11 12:42:48 CET 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 1:09 PM, David Samblas <david at tuxbrain.com> wrote:

> El lun, 10-11-2008 a las 10:39 +0100, Minh Ha Duong escribió:
>> Hi,
>>
>>  I think openmoko-the-project was founded not by FIC but by a core team
>> comprising a handfull of german devs (Sean, I guess Harald, and others but
>> the "The original core team" page was deleted from the wiki on Sep. 2, 2008).
>> You could try to contact one of them for a 10mn phone interview.
> That's why I put the draft of the chrono, to fix any mistake ;) , until
> new order I will omit any FIC refrence
>> If I may suggest an angle for your story, beyond listing software releases
>> (btw I would not count Qi in yet), what I find most fascinating is how a
>> small player can live and prosper in the middle of well entrenched giants.
>> They/we are heading straight towards Apple and Microsoft marketspace, on the
>> shoulders of FIC, with Nokia and Swisscom pushing to help, and Google playing
>> the game with a hidden hand too.
> Well this crono y for presentation very introductory oriented, to make
> the propoject known to also GNU/Linux public, you orientation is more
> for a market/business oportunity one, and maybe is a little to preach to
> already converted ;)
> But yes this part of Openmoko story is pretty interesting and must be
> telled. I will try to work on this later.
>>
>>   Otherwise don't miss the "Dash Express" deal:
>> http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/02/dash-express-powered-by-openmokos-neo-open-source-hardware-plat/
>> my guess is that was a key early success to the company.
> Ok I will add it.

But don't miss also this news:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/03/dash-cuts-50-employees-drastically-changing-business-model/
Sadly just having a good idea and open implementation is not enough
to change the world. Hopefully Dash will turn back to own hardware
model if it succeded in software-only solution.