RESEND(Wrong Thread): IMAGE/MP3 licensing issue.

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at openmoko.com
Wed Nov 12 15:36:16 CET 2008

Tom,

> Erk... are you able to give any more details about the exact reasons?

The short story is that we are in a protracted battle with some patent
trolls. Google for Sisvel.
In order to get ourselves in a stronger position, we want to make sure
no copies/instances/whatever of patent-infested technologies like MP2
and MP3 exist on our servers.
Our phones never shipped with end-user MP3 playback features, but we
want to use this opportunity to make sure it's not even in some remote
place somewhere.
For us the important thing is to defend the freedom of our users
rather than cripple our phones so that certain things become
'impossible'.

So please bear with us, while we go through this house cleaning effort.
Best Regards,
Wolfgang