WSOD (ticket #1841) (unofficial) survey question

grslmpf nabble_openmoko at geheimbilder.de
Thu Nov 13 09:14:01 CET 2008

Andy Green wrote:

> | I am also affected by the WSOD and read many about it.
> | So I try several things and figured out that WSOD is gone if I keep the
> | freerunner over 30°C AND suspend it by the power button.
>
> The high incidence of WSOD on some devices started when we added
> Harald's nice powersaving patches.  These turn off video clocks during
> framebuffer blanking.  So it makes sense you avoid that fallout by using
> power button suspend rather than waiting for some timeout that the
> framebuffer blanking gets to first.
>
> Not all devices show the symptom, whether through their local
> temperature or some other private state.  Harald doesn't see the WSOD on
> his device and when he spent some time looking at one which does show
> the problem he wasn't able to crack it in the limited time available to
> him.
>
> | If I dont switch of dimming and automatic suspend - everytime the WSOD
> will
> | appear.
> | I can imagine this happens because some kind of signal levels are to
> close
> | at their specifications. Digital IO seems to work whole time but what
> about
> | RST?
> | Part R1813 & R1814 seems to be used as "level shifter" (from 3,3V to
> Glamos
> | 1,8V?) at RST#.
> | Such kind of "level shifter" are little bit problematic - poor
> performance
> | and bad timing. If the RST could not raised fast enough - mayby the
> glamo
> | sucks.
> | If i had the datasheet i would dive into this point...

So we have two kinds of WSOD - one caused by the patches and the other one
because ?

I think the powersaving WSOD isn't realy the problem - it isn't
temperature-dependent, it will always be there.
But the other one _only_ occurs below some temperatur level.

> That "level shifter" is definitely evil, if you pop the can and touch it
> with a scope probe it hard resets the Glamo, as you would expect with
> such high source impedence.  Other things seem to be able to make spikes
> on it too somehow.  But to be fair to it I never saw it make a failure
> in normal operation, only during suspend / resume time.

I am creating/programm for years yC based designs and not long ago I've seen
some similar thing.
The schematic worked perfect and sometimes only partly.  I thought little
gremlins must be in there - but the result was only two resistors wich
drives some parts to close to their specifications.