The forbidden topic: Glamo OpenGL

Tim Dobson lists at tdobson.net
Sat Nov 15 03:14:35 CET 2008

Wolfgang Spraul wrote:
> Openmoko actually has learnt a lot from this. First we have learnt to
> not trust high-level promises as much as before.
> In fact I would go as far as saying that going forward, we will not
> trust any promises about 'we will open this up later' anymore.
> Either it's open and documented at the time we make the decision to
> use those chips, or we look elsewhere.
> I believe that's what our customers want.

I read in the development list archive a big discussion about whether
customers/enduser/developers would accept non-free bits to things like
the wifi.

I didn't subscribe because the list is very developer orientated so I
don't know what the end result was, however I hope, in light of this
thread, someone can reveal it ended favourably. :)

> We have a long way to go to come out with kick-ass open phone
> hardware, but if our community doesn't loose faith and continues to do
> development together with us, we'll get there. The momentum we have
> built with the Freerunner is awesome. Please continue to buy
> Freerunners and to develop for it, same is happening internally. The
> next phones will build on top of the free platform we have built
> together, the technology investment will carry over.

Keep doing what you are doing, there are problems, there will continue
to be problems... lets not get demoralised but look forward to GTA 3 (do
what you can but try not to let my hair turn grey first! ;) ) and if
anything can be done about the glamo chip by engaging smedia, I would
love openmoko to give it a try. :)

If there is anything people who aren't skilled developers, who have no
money(!), can do other than what we are already doing, please let us
know.  :)

Finally, thanks for engaging with the community it's nice to get some
feedback even if it isn't all good news[1].

Cheers

Tim

[1] I *would* be really interested to know Openmoko's original projected
sales figures for GTA02 and current sales so far! I guess this probably
isn't possible but nobody gets hurt asking!

--
www.tdobson.net
----