The forbidden topic: Glamo OpenGL

Michael Sheldon mike at mikeasoft.com
Fri Nov 14 19:28:52 CET 2008

Tim Schmidt wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:11 AM, Wolfgang Spraul <wolfgang at openmoko.com> wrote:
>> Having said that, if someone wants to seriously develop for the glamo,
>> please get in touch with me and we will find a legally correct way to
>> extend the smedia documentation to you.
>> In fact we have done that in a few cases before already, but I'm not
>> sure how much actual codes have come out of that. I think very
>> little ;-)
>> So we need some really serious coders that don't mind a tough challenge.
>
> I am not a skilled developer, but I would be more than happy to
> organize, and participate in a traditional clean room
> re-implementation of the documentation.
>
> As a GTA02 owner, as a founding member of the Open Graphics Project,
> as a Director of the Open Hardware Foundation, I believe I have the
> resources to accomplish such a task.
>
> I'd love to try.
>
> Can we make it happen?
>
> --tim

I'd certainly be interested in attempting to add OpenGL support to the
glamo driver if documentation were to become available, but I'm hesitant
to put myself forward for anything that would require Openmoko Inc. to
go out of their way by jumping through administrative loop holes to give
access to the NDA'd documentation, as I'm unlikely to actually succeed
(I have some experience of driver development, and experience of OpenGL
from a high level point of view, but no actual experience of graphics
driver development).

So I think a freely available clean room rewrite of the documentation
would be very helpful, as there may well be others in a similar
position, people willing to take a look at the problem, but not
confident enough to cause OpenMoko Inc. extra hassle/work for what may
result in nothing.

Cheers,
  Mike.