Calling interested Glamo OpenGL developers (was: The forbidden topic: Glamo OpenGL)

Lally Singh lally.singh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 08:40:19 CET 2008

Well then,

  Therein lies the question, how long is OM going to be using the
Glamo?  There's apparently some real potential in the device, but
that's really measured as much by the chip's relevance as its
functionality.

  The GTA02's been on the brink of obsolescence since the day it was
introduced.  It can't even take most modern (3G) SIMs.  If the Glamo
(or something compatible) is going to be around for a while, either in
a long production life of the GTA02, or in newer phones, then all this
makes sound engineering sense to work on.

  Otherwise, I have real doubts about the longevity of a software
project aggressive enough to attempt major work (e.g. accellerated
OpenGL) on this chip.  Lots of open source projects start off with a
bang of enthusiasm, and die with a whimper.  If the chip's gone in a
few months, I don't think we'll see the project survive.

  Hence, my earlier suggestion on just using the acceleration for some
Gtk operations.  Small, effective changes.  Get that done to make the
device feel responsive.  If someone wants to do the big OpenGL
implementation later, fine, use this Gtk work as a sandbox for getting
a feel for the device.

  $400 for a phone is a reasonable investment.  But months of work in
one's spare time is much bigger.  Before anyone commits to a
large-scale project, I think it's fair to ask OM what their plans are
with this chip.

-ls

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 11:43 PM, Neng-Yu Tu (Tony Tu)
<tony at openmoko.com> wrote:

H. Lally Singh
Ph.D. Candidate, Computer Science
Virginia Tech