[Om2008.9] How to power off Wifi?

"Marco Trevisan (Treviño)" mail at 3v1n0.net
Mon Nov 17 15:19:32 CET 2008

Matthias Apitz wrote:
> for now I've tested it with your "battery.py", here are the numbers:
>
>     181 mA  -- nearly empty FR (only "battery.py" and Terminal running)
>     231 mA  -- after launch of GPSD
>     183 mA  -- after stop of GPSD
> 189-232 mA  -- after Wifi-up with, running 'ping' through eth0
> 184-186 mA  -- after Wifi-down
>
> For me this reads that the Wifi chip is already powered-up on boot; the
> diff between before (181) and after using it (184-186) is not very big;
> right?

What do you mean for "Wifi-down"? Using ifconfig (ifdown) or using the
wmiconfig tool?

BTW the major wifi power consumption, if it has been turned on, happens
while the phone is suspended. Sometimes I've left my phone in suspend
with full battery and wifi on (I mean, after I disassociated it from an
AP) and in few hours the battery was drained...

--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux
http://www.3v1n0.net/