Calling interested Glamo OpenGL developers (was: The forbidden topic: Glamo OpenGL)

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Mon Nov 17 16:27:44 CET 2008

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:30:31 +0100 "Nicola Mfb" <nicola.mfb at gmail.com> babbled:

> Hi Raster! before reading this post I supposed that 2d acceleration was very
> partially implemented. This cames out for example because I never see a
> smooth scroll on the device. So what is the reason for this? glamo? 2d
> acceleration driver? poor graphics toolkit?

depends on the toolkit and how ti does it. efl doesn't use any "blitting" at all
for scrolling. it's a redraw - thus a re-compute of pixels and write to screen.
i won't go into the details why - but they are complex. glamo can't do enough
to cover the accelerated paths (xrender for example) so you get s a software
re-compute. no - it's not possible to do a "scroll" (via blit) as you have
alpha channels, layered objects etc. etc. - just trust me in that the cost of
trying to figure out a blit - if it is possible is probably much higher than
the cost of just doing a redraw in almost all cases - the upload speed of the
glamo is so low though that it may just be worth it... but i don't intend to
bother as the glamo on the freerunner is a complete anomaly in terms of
performance and i  have other much better and more important platforms to
support as well :)

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com