Calling interested Glamo OpenGL developers (was: The forbidden topic: Glamo OpenGL)

Nicola Mfb nicola.mfb at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 15:01:51 CET 2008

2008/11/17 The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler <raster at rasterman.com>

> [...]

no - it's not possible to do a "scroll" (via blit) as you have
> alpha channels, layered objects etc. etc. - just trust me in that the cost
> of
> trying to figure out a blit - if it is possible is probably much higher
> than
> the cost of just doing a redraw in almost all cases - the upload speed of
> the
> glamo is so low though that it may just be worth it...

I understand and trust your huge experience :), so correct me where wrong,
I'm not expert but I'd like to have an high level view on this:

*) standard toolkit do complex operation so it's simple/better recompute and
upload the view, this means that porting existing software based on them may
result in slow performance.
*) toolkits that advantages of OpenGL to accelerate its widgets (for example
Qt let you choose an opengl viewport for their canvas implementation)  does
not advantage as Glamo has only 2d acceleration.
*) when necessary you can use directly Xlib because X is 2d accelerated ?
*) when necessary you may use lowlevel library/toolkit to bypass X overhead
and use accelerated 2d graphics (sdl?) ?
*) about video streams, bandwidth is not an issue if decoding mpeg4 in
glamo, but is a issue if you decode the stream with the main CPU and upload
the frames to the glamo?
*) glamo will be abandoned, the cost to develop a 3d driver is very high,
what's about completing 2d acceleration and mpeg4 hardware decoding?
*) the community may produce now or at later time the wanted 3d driver, but
this is hard as openmoko has to extend the nda in some legal way

Regards

    Nicola