[Om2008.9] gsmspeakerout.state

Alastair Johnson alastair at truebox.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 11:27:23 CET 2008

Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Wednesday, November 19, 2008 a las 08:46:27AM +0530, Carl Lobo escribió:
>
>> I think you need to restore the gsm*.state files only when you are on
>> call. the ringing from speaker requires mappings from stereoout.state.
>
> Ok, I think that without deeper knowledge about the files I'm lost. Can
> some kindly soul sheet a bit light into this darkness? I.e.
> - Why there are different files?

Because depending on what you are doing you want to send sound to
different places, and with different levels. It is simpler to have a
small set of files containing the mixer states for known situations than
it is for every app to store all the mixer settings itself.

> - Which process is reading them, in which order and when?

Anything that wants to, whenever it wants to, more or less. Essentially
if an app wants to use a particular mixer state then it makes a call to
set the mixer to that state. FSO has a dbus API to make this a little
more orderly, and qtopia may have something similar, but this doesn't
prevent an app setting things directly.

Because it is up to the app to do the setting you may find that an app
doesn't switch to the state you want, for example when you answer a call
the phone app may switch to the gsm-handset state even though you have
the headset plugged in.