Your favorite ringtones? (especially .sid?)

Dale Maggee antisol at internode.on.net
Thu Nov 20 09:55:07 CET 2008

The Best SID ever is the theme from R-Type, IMHO. It also makes a
fantastic ringtone. The only problem with having this as a ringtone is
that you tend not to answer the phone because you're boogie-ing along to
the awesome ringtone.

Other notable Sids include music from:
- IK+ (International Karate Plus)
- Maniac Mansion
- Robocop
- Bubble bobble

There are literally thousands of SIDs available. To find them, you
really can't go past the High Voltage Sid Collection, which somebody
else linked to. When it came out, the SID chip in the c64 was considered
a very advanced sound chip, so the C64 music scene thrived. There are
still people (like me!) who still listen to sid files to this day.

If you can't be bothered looking at the thousands of sids in the HVSC,
try checking out the top 100:
http://www.transbyte.org/SID/HVSC_Top100.html

I was gratified to see all of my recommendations except for bubble
bobble and maniac mansion in the top 100.

If you can't be bothered testing each SID tune on your Neo, get yourself
a sid player plugin for your audio software (personally, I use XMMS and
the XMMS-SID plugin) to listen to them on your PC. There are also
standalone SID players if you can't find a plugin.

Enjoy!
-Dale