Will there be a hardware revision for the buzzing issue?

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Thu Nov 20 11:39:23 CET 2008

Am Do  20. November 2008 schrieb robert lazarski:
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 6:07 AM, robert lazarski
> <robertlazarski at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 3:00 AM, Joerg Reisenweber <joerg at openmoko.org>
wrote:

> >> We are actually in the process to figure out how to fix *all* devices
sold, by
> >> implementing the so-called "big-C" fix (which means add a 100uF, replace
one
> >> R), which can be done by those experienced in soldering. Not yet clear
where
> >> this will end, but we're on it.
> >>
> >> Very next thing is we will publish a rework SOP paper.
> >>
> >> Also see other answer in this thread.
> >>
> >> cheers
> >> jOERG
> >>

> > Thanks for the info. While I'm good at soldering, I'd prefer to wait
> > for an "A7" revision if that happens. Searching the hardware archives
> > mentioned there might be one:
> >
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/hardware@lists.openmoko.org/msg00696.html
> >
> > I realize it may take a while. I'm guessing A7, if it happens, may
> > also have other updates which may help some other issues of the phone.
> > Looking at the hardware wiki, I see no list of confirmed or even
> > suspected hardware issues. My interest in openmoko is kernel and
> > bootloader related, and there's just somethings that can't be fixed in
> > hardware despite the steady stream of patches I see on the kernel
> > list. So I'm unclear if some issues like suspend, battery life amd
> > missed calls are perhaps hardware issues? Just trying to make an
> > informed choice between buying now or later.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Robert
> >

> s/can't be fixed in hardware/can't be fixed in software/
>
> - R

for A7 there's no bugfix changes to expect, except beforementioned big-C
rework for buzz issue.
There are some minor improvements on audio quality for headset stereo
(1u->4.7u). That's no bugfix in the end :-/
Currently we are not planing any hw-fixes for known bugs, that didn't make it
to A7 version, means we aren't aware of such bugs that could be fixed for A8.
For an eventual A8 we are planning some minor layout changes (3 beads) to make
even more sure buzz is gone. (maybe this might also improve situation of buzz
while using wired headset for a call. However it's not aimed at that topic)
All A5 and A6 versions can be updated to A7 version by cumulative application
of the changes done from A5 -> A6 -> A7 (again that's nothing more than big-C
for recent A6)

All this to the best of my knowledge, without any warranty ;-)
HTH
cheers
jOERG