Minty Boost && FreeRunner

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Thu Nov 20 15:14:06 CET 2008

El día Thursday, November 20, 2008 a las 02:04:22PM +0100, Tilman Baumann escribió:

> Matthias Apitz wrote:
> >El día Thursday, November 20, 2008 a las 01:47:43PM +0100, Tilman Baumann
> >escribió:

> >>Shouldn't it be easy to add this 'wall charger indicator resistor' to
> >>the mintyboost circuit?
> >>I don't remember where that resistor needs to go, but this can be
> >>researched on the wiki...
> >
> >What would be the bennefit of this? I'm not an electronic guy anymore
> >:-(
>
> 1A charging out of the box with no software needed.

Here is what the Wiki page says:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner_Battery

    «DIY external battery pack from a Minty case
    Mintyboost:
    Charge from a couple of AA batteries: Minty Boost!, report on a Neo
    FreeRunner application.
    Adding the 47k resistor to the minty boost so that the Freerunner fast
    charges at 1A is a poor idea for a couple reasons, the biggest one being
    that the minty boost can't supply 1A the max is 600mA. as far as I know,
    there is no magic resistor to identify a 500mA charger to the
    Freerunner, it depends on USB host telling it that it can provide 500mA.
    Second, the ID pin is in the USB micro connector, so you would either
    need to put a micro connector on your minty boost (with the correct
    resistor installed) or use a hacked cable.
    Even if the Linear Technology step up voltage converter is supposed to
    be able to do 600mA, the AA cells seem to have a problem with supplying
    500mA. They get a little toasty :-). One powerpack built using D cells
    doesn't seem to have any issues with supplying 500mA.»

My FR switches outomagically to 1A charging mode, but maybe it's better
to only use 500mA

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz