Survey about the Touchscreen

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Nov 21 19:16:36 CET 2008

> And I'm not sure that multi touch is really so important and the low res

I do not know if it's important, but being restricted to events of the
form mouse-1-down, mouse-1-up, and mouse-move is problematic in
my experience.

So if we can't have multi-touch sensitivity, we need some other source
of input.  It could be buttons on the sides (e.g. I could imagine
a phone where you use one hand for the touchscreen while the other hand
holds the phone and can squeeze it to generate a "modifier" kind of
event).  For usability, I think it's important that this other source of
input be usable at the same time as the touchscreen is used to move the
cursor (so you can get similar effects as the 2-finger scroll, for
exemples, or the mouse-3 context menus) so it probably would have to be
activated by the other hand.

        Stefan

PS: I'm not even considering single-handed use.