Survey about the Touchscreen

Simon Matthews s.matthews at karrak.id.au
Sat Nov 22 02:36:10 CET 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 13:16 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> So if we can't have multi-touch sensitivity, we need some other source
> of input.  It could be buttons on the sides (e.g. I could imagine
> a phone where you use one hand for the touchscreen while the other hand
> holds the phone and can squeeze it to generate a "modifier" kind of
> event).  For usability, I think it's important that this other source of
> input be usable at the same time as the touchscreen is used to move the
> cursor (so you can get similar effects as the 2-finger scroll, for
> exemples, or the mouse-3 context menus) so it probably would have to be
> activated by the other hand.

I agree, a scroll wheel and an extra button on the side of the
Freerunner, something like the old Sony Clie PDAs would be great, or
maybe a tiny trackball/scrollball like the one on the Apple mouse would
be useful.

I would love the capacitive multitouch screen but not at the expense of
input resolution.

Simon