Survey about the Touchscreen

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 22 13:28:04 CET 2008

On Saturday 22 November 2008, Anton Persson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think this is the best argument for the need of a precision stylus yet.
>
> However, as I see it, if you make this argument it means that you want
> a phone that works just like your desktop computer, but which you can
> carry along easily.. Maybe an EeePC is better suited?

I have an Aspire One, but it's too big to carry all the time. I'm looking for
something to replace my old and dying Psion 5. I had high hopes when EPOC32
became Symbian that a suitable smartphone would appear, but one of the first
things they did was to remove the office type apps.

> The current OpenMoko compromise is not suitable for running a spreadsheet
> application or a word processor.

For you maybe, but Abiword and Gnumeric are working fine for me.

> If you want those applications then you
> need to have some sort of keyboard. When the Ilume keyboard is active
> you only have perhaps 60% left of the screen. That means your application
> only have _half_ a VGA display. This practically eliminates the pro that
> people here have been bringing up, the full VGA display.

The Psion's only half-VGA and it works fine there. The Psion does make better
use of the screen space, but that's an application issue.

> Then add the fact that
> using the Ilume keyboard with a spreadsheet is, well, daunting. I can't
> imagine the pain I would feel if I had to go through that ordeal.

For you maybe, but it's fine for me in light use. If I need to do anything
heavier there's always the Bluetooth keyboard.

> So yes, the current situation makes it easy to _run_ ye old' X applications
> we all love on the desktop... But _using_ them in this setup.. I don't
> think so.
>
> If you think I'm wrong, could you please tell me in which situations you
> really
> could use application X or Y on your OpenMoko? And I mean in a situation
> where you would not have easy access to your EeePC in your back-pack.

Exactly the same situations where I use them on the Psion, probably more
because I would carry it in situations where even the Psion is too big. When
I first got the Psion I found myself using it in many more situations than I
had expected, simply because it was there and it worked.

> On the other hand, if you add a multi touch capable LCD panel, then you
> would
> enable software developers like myself to develop a whole range of new
> applications that are _not_ possible on a desktop or on the current
> OpenMoko...
> Applications that you will never see on the current OpenMoko.
>
> (I'm still not ruling out the possibility of a multi touch enabled
> resistive screen,
> but I never heard of such a thing...)

I've never seen a commercial one, but I don't think it presents too many
technical hurdles. unfortunately Openmoko aren't big enough to push a
manufacturer to make such a thing, unlike Apple.