Survey about the Touchscreen

Michael Frandsen mf1910 at vip.cybercity.dk
Sat Nov 22 17:06:34 CET 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 17:41 +0100, Tilman Baumann wrote:

> I just want to point out that I will not vote because the vote is bullshit.
>
> The type of the screen is not the only thing. Size and resolution
> matters too.
>
> And even more important. Price and availability.
>
> What you want is totally unimportant. The question is which compromises
> are you ready to make?
> This is nothing that can be figured out by some stupid two options poll.
> What goes is eventually a question that can only be answered by looking
> at sold units in retrospect.
> What you all want is unimportant, because you can not honestly say that
> it will bias your buying decision in a way you would admit now.
>
> I would like openmoko to do bold steps.
> But they should also be careful.
>

> Tilman Baumann wrote:
> > Vikas Saurabh wrote:
> >> I think we need to decide upon this without the bias of UI....one
> >> might get excited with iPhone's UI.
> >>
> >> What we would have to remember:
> >> * capacitive screen would always require a touch of finger (hence all
> >> the UI elements need to take enough space on screen) so the whole fun
> >> of high reso is gone....
> >> * otoh, pressure based screen need a little more pressure to react but
> >> is often manageable with fingers as well
> >>
> > Agree.
> > Either a really big capacitive screen with no boarders or a small hi res
> > screen as currently (I like it) with either a stylus or a keypad.
> >
> > I would vote for the same screen as currently used or at least the same
> > quality but bigger and a keypad. Finger use for the current screen is
> > pretty much a failure. (not impossible but as far as text input goes
> > pretty much failed)

I admit I voted for capacitive screen without consider all the aspect.
My primary reason was more protected screen and force finger friendly
(which more or less not exist now, more a software issue).

I have a pda I use mostly for car navigation the bigger screen is nice
there. I also use it for connect to internet, use it as voip phone, when
possible, using wifi. It does not have build in gps what was main reason
why I bought my neo (and better portability).

I like the size on neo maybe a little slimmer and I dont want it to be
bigger because then it would be more trouble some to bring with me all
over. My pda is to big I can just squeeze it into my jacket inside
pocket but I have often accidentally activated it often with drain
battery.

My pda have the normal 5 navigation buttons + 4 application buttons
below screen. I never use the navigation buttons only the 4 application
button mostly because I can program them to whatever to activate things
even other programs use the full screen and no hide function.

I like the size and resolution of current neo and the fact that it can
be used for stylus in case programs not finger friendly even it be rare.
Maybe the edge could be smaller so a finger easily can press all the way
to the edge. I can see the benefit for a few buttons to assist a GUI
that need a bigger screen area. If I just needed a small linux computer
to run desktop like applications then I wanted a full keyboard but then
whole benefit of small size and very easy portability is gone then.