Survey about the Touchscreen

Neil Jerram neiljerram at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 23 15:57:51 CET 2008

2008/11/22 Anton Persson <don.juanton at gmail.com>:
> He, actually you're right.. I withdraw that remark.. It's OK hardware,
> but with an excellent aesthetic design, and an innovative UI. A UI that
> would
> not have been possible if the multi-touch hardware was not in place.
>
>     /Anton
>
> On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 12:35 PM, robert lazarski <robertlazarski at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 7:28 AM, Anton Persson <don.juanton at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > And note that Apple doesn't have it's reputation since they make
>> > poor
>> > hardware decisions, but the opposite.
>>
>> Converesely, one could argue that apple has very mediocre hardware and
>> its strength is both UI and things just work. Not that use apple for
>> anything. More clutter ;-( .

So what this illustrates is that arguing in isolation a question like
what kind of touchscreen to use doesn't make sense.  It only makes
sense in the context of what overall product or goal you're trying to
achieve.  Apple are good at that - but then it's vastly easier for
them because their vision is of a single monoculture everywhere, and
they have no interest in encouraging other options.  It's much more
difficult for Openmoko, because their very point is not to dictate the
final product.

   Neil