us network and Uuntu 8.10 - is there a better way?

polz polz at aufbix.org
Tue Nov 25 08:04:08 CET 2008

On Monday 24 November 2008 20:19:55 Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently upgraded my laptop to Xubuntu 8.10, and now I run into the
> issues described in USB Networking[1] on the wiki:
... same here
> Manual setup still works, but it is cumbersome.
> Is there a better way?

It's possible to use NetworkManager to connect to your Neo1973 or Freerunner.
I've created the files /etc/udev/rules.d/80-freeruner.rules and
/usr/local/sbin/freerunner-usb-add.sh as described in the wiki. The phone now
connects automatically whenever I plug it in.

I still have to run /etc/network/freerunner manually once per session in order
to set up masquerading and DNS forwarding, but that's still much better than
having to run ifdown usb0; ifup usb0 every time the phone is plugged in.

Hope this helps.