us network and Uuntu 8.10 - is there a better way?

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 22:33:38 CET 2008

Update on my Xubuntu 8.10 story.

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 8:19 PM, Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingox at gmail.com> wrote:
> - Network Manager setup (with /etc/udev/rules.d/80-freerunner.rules
> and /usr/local/sbin/freerunner-usb-add.sh) doesn't work.

Today there were some updates to Xubuntu (a new kernel among others).
After a reboot the Network Manager method now works.
It have the following drawbacks:
1) When I plug in my FreeRunner (or 1973) Network Manager rewrites
/etc/resolv.conf, removing all lines. This (as others have
    already pointed out) effectively disables dns on my laptop. Not
good, not acceptable.
2) If I plug in first the FreRunner, then the 1973 both usb0 and usb1
gets the ip address 192.168.0.200. Not good, but this can
    probably be fixed.

Issue number 1 is a showstopper for the Network Manager method, unless
Network Manager can be told to only add ip adresses for usb[0-9]
intefaces and leave the routing alone.

For now, I'm back to the manual method.
--
Regards,