Zhone doesn't show my contacts and messages after restart

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 21:56:19 CET 2008

Hi,

"Michael 'Mickey' Lauer" <mickey at openmoko.org> writes:

>> > This should no longer be a problem as nowadays, if the last GSM user
>> > vanishes from the bus, the GSM resource (hence the modem) gets shutdown
>> > completely.
>>
>> Yes, moreover after any network status change Zhone will try to reread
>> the contacts and messages lists. But the problem is that
>> org.freesmartphone.GSM.SIM.GetSimReady return 0 after Zhone
>> restart.
>
> Which should no longer happen, if zhone is the only user of the GSM
> resource.

Well, as far as i understand, that's still not correct. Imagine i want
to restart the phone app while using GPRS? I think it's a valid use
case.

Moreover, even provided zhone is the only app using the GSM
resource, are you sure that gsm0710muxd will power-cycle the modem?
What i see in the frameworkd log is that %CSTAT "response" is never
received if i don't restart the muxer daemon. If you need a proof,
i'll attach the logs to the ticket i've created.

>> As the exact documentation on %CSTAT is unavailable (thank you, TI), i
>> looked it up in Enfora's. It says that the %CSTAT codes will be
>> delivered only after power on. If it is really the case with calypso
>> it is no surprise that we never get SimReady signal as we don't
>> power-cycle the modem (ATZ seems to be not equivalent, and we can't do
>> $RESET). So it seems that %CSTAT should be avoided altogether...
>
> It's a question of alternatives. I don't think hammering the modem with
> read/write contact requests until it stops answering with 'SIM busy' is
> better than using %CSTAT.

Do it once, then if 'SIM busy' received, wait for the %CSTAT. What's
wrong with this approach?

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com