python-ctypes and binutils

Gunnar Aastrand Grimnes gunnar.grimnes at dfki.de
Thu Nov 27 15:03:57 CET 2008

Hi all,

Not sure where to send this - perhaps a more development oriented list?

Anyway, the issue is about python-ctypes, the library for easy access to
shared libraries from python. This includes a utility class for finding
the REAL name of a library, i.e. getting from GL to /usr/lib/libGL.so.1

This code is found here:
/usr/lib/python2.5/ctypes/util.py

(assuming python-ctypes is installed)

Now this relies in turn on several external tools for finding the
library (see [1]), in particular ldconfig, gcc and objdump.
Now ldconfig we have by default, gcc we do not want to install and
objdump is in the binutils package. Now the binutils package only
includes weird named binaries for objdump, i.e.
/usr/bin/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-objdump - and this is not found by
ctypes...

How do we fix this? Can binutils not ship with a /usr/bin/objdump
symlinked to /usr/bin/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-objdump?

A semi-related question : Say I've written a new .bb file for
python-opengl. How can I most easily get this put into openembedded?

Cheers,

- Gunnar

[1] http://www.python.org/doc/2.5.2/lib/ctypes-finding-shared-libraries.html

--