[OT]Software patents end? ??:) light at the end of tunnel

Dale Maggee antisol at internode.on.net
Fri Nov 28 09:59:33 CET 2008

David Pottage wrote:
> On Thu, November 27, 2008 7:06 am, Denis Johnson wrote:
>

>> ... Preferably using something like http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ (if
>> someone knows a Linux equivalent please chime in)
>>

> The linux equivalent is cdparanoia. Like EAC it will produce bit
> perfect rips of audio CDs. It is a command line program
>
> If you want a GUI, then you can use Grip. It is a GTK based program
> that automates the whole process of ripping, track listing lookups, and
> transcoding to your prefered compressed format. If you have a big stack
> of CDs to rip, then you can easily sit there using your computer for
> other things, and feed in a new CD every few minutes.

Thanks for everybody's advice.

some comments:

* Grip is fantastic

* Thanks for observing that mp3 -> ogg is lossy, and that I should just
delete my mp3s and go from CD -> ogg where possible

* It's my Hard drive that doesn't support FLAC! If I used flac, my music
library (I guess "mp3 collection" will soon become a misnomer!) would be
*enormous*! Yes, I realise it's lossless etc etc, but 320kpbs mp3s are
close enough for me.

Thanks,
-Dale