[OT]Software patents end? ??:) light at the end of tunnel

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Fri Nov 28 12:40:24 CET 2008

On 28 Nov 2008, at 11:06, Sean McNeil wrote:
> I'd like to point out also that the CD source is already lossy in that
> it is a digital representation of analog signals. Recording companies,
> however, compensate for this and work to make the sound output from
> a CD
> player as ideal as possible,

I understood otherwise:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Google "loudness war" for many other posts on the subject - many of
these posts are very readable and are complaints from genuine music-
lovers disappointed with deteriorating audio quality on new releases.

I don't listen to music so much these days - I've just gotten out of
the habit of it, I guess. But I have fond memories of the very early
1990s, when CD was still the medium of audiophile choice, and the
argument against vinyl still raged. I would kick back with a Jimi
Hendrix remaster and pick out individual instruments to appreciate as
part of the whole. Each was pure and remarkable - or perhaps that was
just the spliff - but when I read about how the record companies are
reducing the dynamic range of the albums they now publish I wonder if
the same experience would be possible.

Stroller.