Internet Key on Neo Freerunner?

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 28 23:40:57 CET 2008

On Friday 28 November 2008, arne anka wrote:
> > the internet in any place through wireless communications (UMTS, GPRS,
> > etc.).
>
> gprs does the fr by itself, umts requires i 3g sim and those are know to
> be ... uhm ... problematic with the fr, though i don't remember if the
> recent firmware upgrade for the modem does fix it.

Only some 3G SIMs are problematic (bug #666), and that seems to have been
fixed with the recent gsm firmware update. It now works for my O2 UK SIM
anyway.

> > What driver/module do we need? Are they available?
>
> you need the same as for your desktop -- check the relevant sources if
> there are any available.

There's nothing particularly unusual about the drivers, but many of them start
up as usb-storage to provide the Windows driver, then need to be switched
over to usb-serial mode to do the comms. This seems to cover most models, but
I don't know if it's been tried on ARM yet.

http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/