[2008.9] Wifi very unreliable

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Wed Oct 1 10:10:29 CEST 2008

El día Tuesday, September 30, 2008 a las 08:52:14PM +0800, William Kenworthy escribió:

> On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 14:37 +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> > 	matthias
>
> Hi Matthias, I am using these scripts with the unmodified Om 2008.9
> system successfully to connect to a linksys wrt150 running wpa.  The
> only caveat is that the FR has a good signal when connecting.  Turn on
> wifi using the settings dialog first - dont select anything else.  Same
> with mofi etc - if you have used them, reboot first.  Then you should be
> able to connect/reconnect at will.  It seems that some of the background
> apps are reluctant to let go of the connection.

Hi William,

A bit inspired by your commands since yesterday I have changed the
desktop file /usr/share/applications/Wifi-up.desktop into this:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Wifi-up
Comment=Bring Wifi up with ifup eth0
Exec=xterm -e "ifdown eth0 ; iwconfig eth0 txpower auto channel 1 ; killall wpa_supplicant ; killall udhcp ; ifup eth0 ; sleep 20"
Icon=wifi
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Application;Utilities;
SingleInstance=true
StartupNotify=true

i.e. inserted your iwconfig/killall sequence before bringing up the
interface; and now it is associating *every* time in my Wifi area at
home (WEP) and in my office (WPA); it even reconnects fine, when I'm
leaving the area and re-enter or when I moved from office to home;
if I have some time I will investigate why this is now working; maybe
there was always some of the wpa_supplicant (the one with the -u flag)
left over; don't know what the -u option means, this option does not
exist in FreeBSD's wpa_supplicant and the FR has no man pages installed;
are they available somewhere in Internet to check?

you can imagine how happy I am;

thx

	matthias
--