[Om2008.9] launching GPRS by hand

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Wed Oct 1 16:18:33 CEST 2008

El día Wednesday, October 01, 2008 a las 09:55:31AM -0400, Joel Newkirk escribió:

> On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 15:32:23 +0200, Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> wrote:
> > El día Wednesday, October 01, 2008 a las 01:37:52PM +0200, Matthias
> Apitz
> > escribió:
> >

> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> The Wiki page http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/GPRS describes how to make
> >> GPRS working by hand in Om2007.2 and most of the stuff for chat-scripts
> >> and PPP options seems to be correct (compared with what I was using with
> >> my cellphone connected via V.24 to my laptop);
> >>
> >> in 2007.2 there was a gsmd daemon controlling the serial port
> >> /dev/ttySAC0 which seems now to be Qtopia's 'qpe', but I don't see any
> > method to
> >> stop and start this via scripts in /etc/init.d; how is this supposed to
> >> work now?
>
> > Maybe there is some way to just say to 'qpe': Go away for a while and
> > don't read or touch the modem /dev/ttySAC0? The rest of PPPD is fine
> > now, it just works as supposed to do;
> >
> > 	matthias
> >

> What you need is referred to as Multiplexing - the wiki page you referenced
> talks about it.  The multiplexer allows multiple bindings to the GSM
> device, IE one for voice GSM and one for data GPRS, without the need to
> kill off QPE or whatever is tied to GSM in order to use GPRS.

Hi Joel,

I've read this before, but all this information is outdated because it
talks about starting gsmd (which is not there anymore in Om2008.9) and I
don't even know if the Qtopia's qpe is aware of handling this device of
Multiplexing;

there is not even a script in /etc/init.d to launch qpe;

is there a working example of Multiplexing with qpe?

at the moment I do it with this shell script ~/pppd.sh:

#!/bin/sh
set -x
killall qpe
pppd debug nodetach call gprs
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/89qtopia &

which must be launched inside FB's desktop and this let the Xsession
alive;

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz