Dialer UI Design

Ian darkstarsword at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 18:09:08 CEST 2008

Alex does bring up some excellent points, and I would like to point to
the (unfortunately closed source) media centre app for the Nokia
Internet Tablet called Canola as an example, which was written in
Python (distributed as byte compiled python) and uses EFL for the
graphics. Everything in the app feels very smooth and for the most
part is quite responsive - it's the smoothest inertial scrolling I've
seen in a non-apple product (not that I like inertial scrolling very
much since the distinction between select and scroll is far too small,
and would stay away from it on any interface I design). The UI is
fairly well designed, mostly because they listened to their users and
redesigned it to address the issues brought up. The only real problem
with it is that it takes quite a while to load - but that's really
only a one off initial time consuming task. Oh, and of course the
other problem is that it's closed source, but maybe "Instituto Nokia
de Tecnologia" will follow Nokia's (They are now independant) lead and
open it up some day.

Cheers,
-Ian

--