[Om2008.9] launching GPRS by hand

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Wed Oct 1 18:28:41 CEST 2008

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 16:18:33 +0200, Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> wrote:

> El día Wednesday, October 01, 2008 a las 09:55:31AM -0400, Joel Newkirk
> escribió:

>> What you need is referred to as Multiplexing - the wiki page you
> referenced
>> talks about it.  The multiplexer allows multiple bindings to the GSM
>> device, IE one for voice GSM and one for data GPRS, without the need to
>> kill off QPE or whatever is tied to GSM in order to use GPRS.
>
> Hi Joel,
>
> I've read this before, but all this information is outdated because it
> talks about starting gsmd (which is not there anymore in Om2008.9) and I
> don't even know if the Qtopia's qpe is aware of handling this device of
> Multiplexing;
>
> there is not even a script in /etc/init.d to launch qpe;
>
> is there a working example of Multiplexing with qpe?
>
> at the moment I do it with this shell script ~/pppd.sh:

The mokoscripts archive includes a replacement for
/etc/X11/XSession.d/89qtopia.  I don't see anything about gsmd, just gpsd
(the same archive has agps stuff in it) and gsm0710muxd, the multiplexing
gsm service. Also, the instructions specifically state that he's not sure
about 2007.2 and FSO but has tested it with ASU.  I successfully used the
instructions (altered for t-mobile's internet3.voicestream.com service)
under both 2007.2 and 2008.8, though to be honest I never tried it under
2008-update or 2008.9.  (yet - once my FR is back in my hands I intend to
set it up again)