[debian] going to install - hints?

Gothnet openmoko at nastylittlehorse.net
Thu Oct 2 13:14:15 CEST 2008

Davide Scaini wrote:

> Do you have any hints before starting to have a nice installation?

Sorry for the delay, but better late than never!

go here - https://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Flashing_the_Neo_Freerunner

And update u-boot by going to the section marked "Flashing the boot loader
to the NAND". You'll want this because u-boot has improved and because the
older u-boot couldn't boot the kernel from ext2.
You may also want to get a program called neocon - it allows you to halt the
phone in the bootloader phase, giving you long to kick off dfu-util to
update uboot.

Then just follow the wiki - http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner

It took me a couple of hours but all worked pretty well. I gave up on debian
pretty quickly because I stopped getting any GSM signal/registration after a
while. I liked the zhone interface though, and it seemed more responsive.
Also having the full apt repository is amazing.

It's now FDOM for me, though as and when debian/FSO is known to be more
stable I might switch again. I like debian, and the size of the community
ensures that information is easy to find and community support done well.