New Rasterman Image...

Steve Mosher steve at openmoko.com
Thu Oct 2 18:37:58 CEST 2008

I used to have a bunch of them when I was doing a NLG ( natural Language
generation) pet project. I sent you a link to US names as well. from the
US census.
For personal dictionaries, people could just run a simple word frequency
analysis   on their archived email,( there are GPL programs that do this
I believe, but its dead easy to write yourself) and import their email
contacts into the database.
( speeling mistakes might require some work, like the one I just did)
If you had access to archived chats or chat logs you could pick up
things like LOL, PITA, etc, or logs of SMS. There are some studies on
word frequency in SMS but I havent found a online resource.

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> [...]
>>> thrown out. "rwkd" has distance 1, but not a word, "srkd" same, "etkd",
>>> "efkd", "erld", etc. etc.
>>>
>>> in the end it produces a list where most likely "world" ends up the word
>>> with other options too - and this is a much simplified list. mostly the list
>>> for candidate letters per input letter is about 10-12 letters. so u have
>>> 12*12*12*12 permutations for a 4 letter word - of which a fraction of that
>>> space is legitimate words. each permutation has a likelihood value based on
>>> press distance and on frequency of usage of that word in language in
>>> general in the dictionary.
>>>
>>> mind you - i AM talking about illume's keyboard, its algorithms as is in the
>>> image i built. if you use something else i cannot comment as it's something
>>> else.

>>> it's not - as the edit distance is the likelihood of error. you likely press
>>> the key you want - or near it. thus keys near where you pressed are more
>>> likely than those further away. to limit search distance only up to a
>>> certain distance is searched. chances are that you do this:
>>>
>>> fingerprint:
>>>   ___
>>>  /~~~\
>>>  |~~~|
>>>  |~~~|
>>>   \x/
>>>    "
>>>
>>> where "x" is the pressure point reported on the touchscreen. the only info
>>> the touchscreen reports is the pressure point - nothing else. you think u
>>> press somewhere else, but don't. you know what u pressed bu what key "pops
>>> up" that lets u know pretty well how good your pressing of the screen is.
>>> this is just a hardware limit of a resistive touchscreen. the point of
>>> greatest pressure is used - not the middle point of the area in which skin
>>> contacts the screen. get the gpe-sketchbook and try press with the flat of
>>> your finger and see just of far off your press point is. it may surprise
>>> you.
>>>
>>> as i said - it does have all the model and code and even data to do proper
>>> correction based on many factors. i do NOT have a dictionary with frequency
>>> info for all of english - there is a "small" english dict (5000 words) with
>>> some frequency info in it i managed to gather, but its very small.
>>>
>>> if you don't believe me - read the code, or do better. patches accepted,
>>> but i think the problem is just that the dictionary has no frequency info
>>> by default (a matter of simple lack of data) or how you press the screen. i
>>> suggest you pay close attention to how you type and see. yes the "black
>>> word" (in the black box) may not be always the word u want - but its most
>>> often that word or a word right next to it - as you use it it will learn.
>>> if you are using it for non-english stuff then you need a different
>>> dictionary.

>>> it does have concept of frequency orf words. i just dont have any DATA for
>>> word1
>>> word2