[debian] Sephora 0.2 pre alpha 1 - Impressions and suggestions needed

Alex Osborne ato at meshy.org
Fri Oct 3 06:39:46 CEST 2008

Hi Michele,

Michele Renda wrote:
> About the sources: I will start to work in a decent deb-src, but for now
> you can download the sources from the bazaar repository of the project

Have you committed the latest version to bazaar?  I couldn't see
anything about --preload in there, so I extracted sephora.py from the
deb instead.

> Adding more tabs I saw that the program start to become a bit slower. I
> worked on the code, and now I have to take some design decision.   The
> program can be launched from console with the parameter --preload : With
> this parameters the start will become slower but the first panel switch
> will be very fast.
> Without --preload the program start will be faster, but the first switch
> will be a bit slower.

Is it slow because of all the DBUS calls done on startup?  Maybe you
could use asynchronous DBUS calls instead:

http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-python/doc/tutorial.html#making-asynchronous-method-calls

That way you could fire off the calls to fetch all the information on
startup but since they're asynchronous it won't block the program and
the user can start doing stuff.  When the information is returned from
DBUS you can then update the widgets.

Cheers,

Alex