[2008.9] Wifi very unreliable

joakim at verona.se joakim at verona.se
Fri Oct 3 12:05:20 CEST 2008

Jay Vaughan <jayv at synth.net> writes:

>> As much as I love my FR, I must admit that the whole experience had
>> me thinking lustful thoughts about my wife's iPhone...
>

> I would say just get an iPhone.  I did.  Its much more fun to develop
> for a *platform* rather than a constant dogs-breakfast of disaster.
> Until someone in the Freerunner world turns the thing into a stable
> platform, its just going to go on and on forever with nothing ever
> being fixed, stably, and dependably.
>
> I mean, give me a break.  Its October, and people are *still*
> wrestling with WLAN configuration.  Can you hackers not see how stupid
> it is to be fussing with 'pretty stuff' when the most basic things
> don't even work?
>
> I've given up on Freerunner development.  Until there is a stable
> image that provides an Operating System (what we have now: Inoperable)
> its just not worth the fuss.  The Freerunner project has been
> murdered, in my opinion, by hobby horsing hackers who have nothing but
> hatred for the end users that *could* be using the thing.

Just to add some perspective, for my intended applications the iPh*ne is
not an option. On the other hand, any suitable open handheld gnu/linux
device with gps and phone hardware would work. If competing hardware
forfilling these requirements showed up, I could easily switch hardware.

--
Joakim Verona