rescue my freerunner

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Fri Oct 3 19:10:21 CEST 2008

David Pottage wrote:
> On Fri, October 3, 2008 9:20 am, Sergey Alembekov wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 03:41:08PM +1000, nickd wrote:
>>> Worst case scenario, you might be able to create a backup of your rootfs
>>> (dfu-util -a rootfs -R -U backup_rootfs.jffs) and mount the image on
>>> loopback [1] and transfer your home directory back onto your Freerunner.
>> Thank you for help, but unfortunately thereis known bug in dfu-util and
>> becouse of it i can not do a backup.
>
> How about preparing a MicoSD card with fresh copy of your preferred distro
> on it. (ASU/Debian/etc), boot from that and then mount the rootfs and
> either fix the offending files or take a copy of your data.

Good idea.

If your computer doesn't have an SD slot, you can buy an inexpensive USB
to SDcard adapter. This is what I use and it's been fine.

(when you say it's stuck while booting, how long did you wait? IIRC
there is a network related task which will eventually time out, but it
does take quite a long time.)