The Lost Openmoko Community

Tomas Riveros Schober triveros at enable.cl
Sat Oct 4 16:40:23 CEST 2008

My brother feels exactly like you.
he's not really a techie and depends on me for most stuff....however i
tought him how to report bugs and watch the tracker, but he gets
dissapointed that whenever he tries to report something its either
already there or he doesnt have the logs required.
Thing is, he packed his freerunner in the box and saved it for when its
more developed (aka, ready).
I'm more of a tinkerer so im happy to have a half-assed phone, with lots
of noise and echo and not a good alarm (i had to buy something else to
wake me in the morning reliably), and usually flash every other distro
every other day and test stuff.

However, I do believe that there's lack of community communication with
openmoko...we dont know their plan or priorities (ie, for many many
users, first and foremost we need a phone without noise or echo, but
there seems to be little done by openmoko in that area).
Also showing lack of focus is the releases. There have been some patches
that dont appear to be implemented in 2008.x but FDOM has had it since
the beginning (gtk fix, dns resolv, or the infamous keyboard debate)

I think that's it for now, sorry for the long post, but it's 2 users
around here.

Tom