u-splash

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Sun Oct 5 22:31:15 CEST 2008

I've got a question on splash screen changes.

I've got a new splash screen that I want to flash onto my FreeRunner.  I
follow all the directions i can find at
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Configuring_the_boot_splash_screens and
http://svn.openmoko.org/trunk/src/host/splash/README and
http://svn.openmoko.org/developers/werner/splash/.

Since my new splash image is roughly 0xfff0 in size, greater than 0x5000,
it seems I need to change env settings within uboot. (on reboot I only see
the top half or so of the image) So I download and compile neocon, connect
to my FR, and issue the commands:

setenv splashimage nand read.e 0x32000000 splash 0xfff0\; unzip 0x32000000
0x8800000 0x96000
saveenv

which it accepts.  Then I power down and back up, and I can still only see
the top portion of my splash image - clearly it's either not saving or not
to, for example, save the image as 32-color indexed, and as a result see
about 60% of the image during initial boot, instead of the roughly 45% I
can see when saved as the 128-color indexed specified in the wiki.

Is there a limit somewhere that I missed regarding splash image flash size?
   Or have I got something wrong in the setenv?  I took what was listed on
the wiki page and altered it as described, changing 0x5000 to 0xfff0 to
encompass the size of my splash.gz and substituting 0x8800000 as the proper
address for FreeRunner.