New Rasterman Image...

Steve Mosher steve at openmoko.com
Mon Oct 6 03:13:57 CEST 2008

Spelling issue Noted.

  RE: first and last names: I suppose it was worth the try?; Was it
primarily the last names (US is a nation of immigrants) that gave the
most trouble? or first names as well? The last names file is huge in
comparision to the first name files, FWIW.   and

Looking at the list of names and graphing frequency versus rank, it
looks like it follows a power law
distribution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_law)  to get to 80% of
each gender you need : 313 male names, 811 female names). The top 100
male names is 60% of all male names. The top 100 female names is 43% of
all female names. last names, the top 100 are only 18% of the
population. FWIW, word frequency is known to follow a power law
distribution, so I'm not surprised that proper names appear to follow a
power law.

Ok, no more backseat driving.

Hope all is well