Glad to see Gentoo-openmoko distro

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 6 07:50:30 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 09 September 2008, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 01:00:36PM +0100, Al Johnson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 09 September 2008, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> > > I hope you guys don't mind killing your phone or uSD's memory sooner
> > > than everyone else :)
> >
> > Why? Are you making some unwarranted assumptions about using Gentoo on
> > embedded systems?
>
> No unwarranted assumption, the only argument you could throw back at me is
> an argument against using Gentoo instead of any .deb or .rpm based
> distribution ;)
>
> Please, no distro-war, you're free to kill your flash devices sooner ;)

I use Gentoo, CentOS, Fedora and Debian so no war here :-) I'm just curious
why you think Gentoo will wear out flash devices sooner than any other distro
if reasonably configured. The key here is probably 'reasonable' as I would
build packages on a more capable machine and use binary-only merges, and
various directories may find themselves mounted over the network.