A Call for community action

Nicola Mfb nicola.mfb at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 10:53:38 CEST 2008

2008/10/5 Steve Mosher <steve at openmoko.com>

> Nope. nobody signed up.

Hi Steve,
I think it's not easy to involve the community in a specific task as bug
fixing.

According to me:
* this requires high knowledge and systematic approach, so only a part of
community may be affected
* too many peoples thinks they already paid for a phone and the paid
openmoko developers should fix bugs (I do not think this!!!)
* there is a lack of information about future direction of the software
stack
* community peoples hacks openmoko for fun, so they want to spend their time
following their needs, passions and capabilities.

I report an example about me, I'm not a kernel guru, so I'll never take a
bug on suspend/resume and I'll not take a bug about qtopia on x11, as I
think it will not be used in the future, so why should I waste my time?
At the same time I like to develop with C++ and QT library, and the big part
of time spent on openmoko goes there. So you may find a lot of my threads in
this mailing-list about Qt, related bugs openened on the issue tracker here,
at openembedded and trolltech, a wiki page to help/be helped from other
peoples about qt developing etc. etc. I'm planning to write a qt application
to test dbus api on FSO, and as I need pan network over bluetooth that will
be my first try. As it seems there is nothing available when ready I'll be
happy to share it!
Only a part of problems i solved are available on mailing lists archives or
on the wiki due to lack of time.

Consider now that a lot of peoples acts in a similiar manner, so a lot of
excited guys are working "randomly" on somethink, someone is able to use
python/gtk, someone is a distro guru etc. etc., they love to fix their own
problems and write their scripts that often will be never shared, becouse
they do not know that a lot of peoples may need it!!!

So it should be easier to involve community in a "application wish list", in
a "how-to/documentation wish list" and in a "test suite".
These are simple and fun tasks.

Regards

     Nicola