The Lost Openmoko Community ( what's a community manager to do?)

Steve Mosher steve at openmoko.com
Tue Oct 7 21:24:35 CEST 2008

Stroller wrote:

> [...]
>
>>> So the only answer to this IS to have more distros. And really,
>>> anyone complaining about the state of the current software stacks
>>> should have been here 3 months ago. Back then it was "Openmoko
>>> shouldn't have shipped broken hardware with this GPS bug!" Isn't that
>>> now all fixed in the kernel drivers? No-one who sees how much the
>>> situation has improved is complaining now.
>>  We actually like the fact that there are competing distros. The one
>> unique thing we offer is the freedom to choose your distro and choose
>> your carrier.
>
> Yes, indeed! And thank goodness! Otherwise we'd all be stuck with Sean's
> blue-sky vision. Thank goodness it's an unpopular one  ;)  since it has
> lead to all these other great distros!
>
>>> Build the product and the community will come to you!
>>> It already has, it's just a little too early for everyone to see the
>>> fruits of this.
>>  yes. my question is can we optimize the effort. Again, open question.
>>  negative feedback is as welcome ( in due course) as positive
>> feedback.not to pat you
>>  on the back stroller, but when Sean and I talk we almost invariably
>>  discuss your perspective on things.
>
> I'll be glad to bill you for my time.  ;)
>
>>> We already have Michael Shiloh providing weekly community updates
>>> (ahem) - IMO a "community manager" would just be a distraction from
>>> Openmoko's real business. You should be concentrating on the
>>> hardware, and if you're employing an additional member of staff then
>>> make it a kernel programmer, so that your hardware runs more smoothly
>>> for the distros that evolve around it. Or get FSO complete sooner, so
>>> that (again) all the distros benefit.
>>  Well engineering hiring continues day in and day out. As VP of
>> marketing it's part of my job to find ways to make use of this
>> wonderful asset, the community> I'll give you an example. At linux
>> world I faced a huge problem. Two booths. and a marketing staff of two.
>> me and michael. And a sales staff of two. Whats missing? somebody with
>> technical knowledge at the booth. Should I ask for an engineer to
>> attend the trade show? Nope, I asked the community to step forward and
>> man the booths with us. When the press came to talk to me, I pointed
>> them at the
>> community member who gave them the unvarnished truth. At first PR
>> thought I was insane, later they changed their minds. Now, for example,
>> I cant coordinate this kind of effort all the time for every show
>> around the world. Is that a job for a full time trade show manager or
>> a community manager? I don't know, I'm at the stage of kicking around
>> ideas. Some of them should get kicked in the head, others in the butt.
>> But its not a distraction. me dragging engineers off of projects to
>> support trade shows is a distraction, to use a concrete example.
>
>  From outside it's obviously difficult to appreciate how busy you are. I
> always assumed you spent your days drinking lattes & playing fussball in
   I love being busy. I work out of the US, the corporate office is in
   Taiwan.

> I don't know that this example - better co-ordination of PR & marketing
> - actually resolves Risto's complaints. There definitely IS a place for
> users like him to report bugs and test daily builds, and I don't see how
> to make him - or others like him - see that if they can't already
> appreciate that from what's already out there.
   The example wasnt meant to address Ristro's concerns. Ristro's
concerns trigger me to thing about ALL the ways the community can help.
And that triggered me to think about optimizing that effort. So, I look
for ways to expand the role of the community in all corporate functions:
engineering, marketing and sales   remember the 10 pack? That idea was
born out a question Sean and I asked each other.. How can we involve the
community in the sales effort?  So, When I think about this stuff I'm
not limiting myself to Ristro's concerns.