[Raster+FSO] USB Host keyboard problem

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Wed Oct 8 23:39:35 CEST 2008

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 13:26:30 +0100, Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com> wrote:

> | Under the latest Rasterman image with FSO repos (frameworkd, zhone,
> | supporting installed) when I switch to USB Host mode (via sysfs, not
> dbus),
> | it will automount my USB thumbdrive, but doesn't do anything with the
> | keyboard that previously worked, and 'lsusb' is always empty.  Module
> | hci_usb is inserted.
>
> | usb 1-2: new low speed USB device using s3c2410-ohci and address 12
> | usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> | input: CHESEN USB Keyboard as
> | /devices/platform/s3c2410-ohci/usb1/1-2/1-2:1.0/input/input19
> | input: USB HID v1.10 Keyboard [CHESEN USB Keyboard] on usb-s3c24xx-2
> | input: CHESEN USB Keyboard as
> | /devices/platform/s3c2410-ohci/usb1/1-2/1-2:1.1/input/input20
> | input: USB HID v1.10 Device [CHESEN USB Keyboard] on usb-s3c24xx-2
> | usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 12
>
> You'd think if it can enumerate it, it should show up in lsusb... but it
> has gone so far as to arrange input subsystem support, it can't be that
> broken.
>
> Check and see if udev creates /dev/input/event* node(s) for it?  If it
> does, try hexdump -c on it and type some keys on the keyboard.  If that
> makes output, must be something on X side.

Yes, the hollow lsusb is what first threw me.  It's always that way, and
/proc/bus/usb is empty as well.

Indeed, it DOES create /dev/input/event5 and /dev/input/event6 when plugged
in, and event5 carries keyboard activity.

So it seems I have two possibly unrelated problems - lsusb &
/proc/sys/bus/usb being empty, and X not recognizing the keyboard.

There's no X config in the 'usual' /etc/X11 location, where does it control
devices like keyboard then?