[Debian Wiki] Update of "DebianOnFreeRunner" by jidanni

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Thu Oct 9 09:25:44 CEST 2008

Hi jidanni,

I hope you are reading this.

Am Donnerstag, den 09.10.2008, 01:00 +0000 schrieb Debian Wiki :
> Dear Wiki user,
>
> You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Debian Wiki" for change notification.
>
> The following page has been changed by jidanni:
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner
>
> The comment on the change is:
> sparse file savings

Thanks for your contributions to the wiki. But please do not use the
Wiki page as medium for discussion. The page is already too large
anyways, and having TODO items and unanswered questions on it does not
help the user.

Instead, please post the questions on one of the mailing lists, discuss
them, and if there is a solution, make a concise addition to the wiki.

Now to your concrete questions:

>   = Installing and Using Debian on an OpenMoko FreeRunner =
>   You can install Debian on your [http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner OpenMoko FreeRunner], and use that system to fulfill your telephone needs. You can then use almost all of the packages available for Debian, with just one call to {{{apt-get install}}}. It’s still the same full featured Distribution that you know from your desktop or server.
>
> + TODO: please mention at this point in the article if we will end up with dual booting ability with the former system or not.
> +

This is already explained at “Adjusting your uBoot environment”. I don’t
think this should be duplicated.

>   == Notes ==
>   This installer is relatively new and probably contains bugs. You use it at your own risk.
>
> @@ -15, +17 @@
>
>   == Backup ==
>   If you do not have a card reader to backup your MicroSD card, you can copy the contents of the card including partition data over a network. You will need a booted Freerunner with network access (USB, Wireless etc.) and a *nix-based machine. Make sure power management is not set to suspend on the FreeRunner.
>
> + TODO: please mention if we need to backup other disks/items of the FreeRunner or not and why.
> +
>   If you wish to take a backup of your MicroSD card to restore from later, run the following from your Freerunner:

The installer does not touch anything else, so nothing to mention here.

>   {{{
>   dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 | ssh user at backup.server "gzip -9 > sdcard.gz"
>   }}}
> - This will create a compressed backup of your card performing the compression on the backup server (assuming that it's more powerful than 400MHz). To restore, run the following from your backup server:
> + This will create a compressed backup of your card performing the compression on the backup server (assuming that it's more powerful than 400MHz). (Then one can get bigger squeezings if one uses sparse files:)
> + {{{
> + $ gunzip sdcard.gz; zum sdcard; tar zScf sdcard.tar.gz sdcard; ls -sog
> + 51 -r--r--r-- 1 510132224 2008-10-07 13:18 sdcard
> +  3 -rw-r--r-- 1      2745 2008-10-09 08:29 sdcard.tar.gz
> + }}}
> + To restore, run the following from your backup server:

What is zum?

>   II) Set boot partition to be vfat by running {{{SD_PART1_FS=vfat ./install.sh all}}}. Now you do not need to mess with modifying U-Boot's default setup.
>
> + (Though the partition exists, it takes up all the disk, and we need to make more partitions.)
> +

What do you mean by this? I don’t quite understand that.

>   Now be patient for a while, as the script downloads, installs and sets up everything it needs. Once it finishes without an error, you have to adjust your uBoot environment:
>
>   In case of temporary errors (for example network problems), you can re-enter the installation by specifying the stages you want to run:

Thanks,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner