LED notification

Sam Kuper sam.kuper at uclmail.net
Fri Oct 10 20:35:07 CEST 2008

2008/10/9 Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com>

> Robert Norton wrote:
> > 2008/10/9 Robin Paulson <robin.paulson at gmail.com>:
> >> the main cpu is suspended, like in the neo, but the power management
> unit is not
> > I'm sure I recently read a datasheet for a PMU which supported various
> > flash patterns for LEDs even during suspend. Unfortunately I can't
> Not really a PMU but an i2c device for just doing that.  We might be
> using one or another in future products

To me, having the phone able to perform basic notification functions (LED
blink, vibrate, make a sound) on certain events, even when the phone is on
standby, seems like a very desirable - not to say obvious - feature.

I was right on the verge of buying a FreeRunner when I read the message
above, but think I may hold off for now, as it looks like that sort of
functionality isn't something a firmware upgrade would enable. Is my
understanding correct? If so, am I also right in thinking that retrofitting
the hardware capability to do this would be *really* hard without serious
SMT-soldering/PCB-fabrication tools and a big investment of time?

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Sam