2/3: What people want Openmoko to do?

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Sun Oct 12 15:36:25 CEST 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 02:55:04AM +0000, JW wrote:
> Risto,
>
> I have lost count of the number of people who have said
>
> * i know linux
> * i can develop for the desktop
> * i have given up trying to develop for freerunner because the hurdles to
> development are too high
>
> I think Openmoko could employ someone to take queries from "serious" developers
> and get them over the initial hurdles and notify of upgrades which knock down
> critical bugs/barriers
>
> Much more useful than pandering to community at large

Cross compiling is a little trickier than normal compiling, you have to
set up a bunch of different things.

I found that by using the toolchain, a lot is made easier for a newcomer
developer.

What really makes it hard is that many don't have the money to buy two
phones, and it's still somewhat frustrating as a phone (you've definitely
gotta have some patience and love for Free Software :) ).

Now, one could use a qemu vm, but developping into a VM is not half as funny
as seing the software you wrote running in your hand.

Also, EFL could be a little bit better documented... but it doesn't have
the momentum other UI toolkits have had for years.

Rui

--
Wibble.
Today is Setting Orange, the 66th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?